Aniruddh P. Behere is an Assistant Professor and has joint appointments in the College of Human Medicine’s Department of Pediatrics and Human Development and Psychiatry. He specializes in working with medically complex children who have psychiatric/ psychological needs. He is board certified in adult, child and adolescent psychiatry, and addiction medicine. He has a keen interest in education and clinical research and has presented at national and international meetings, published numerous papers in peer reviewed journals and has written chapters in books pertaining to mental health. He is also part of several national and international committees. He has a passion in Global Health and was elected as co-chair of Workforce Capacity Building Subcommittee of Consortium of Universities for Global Health. In addition, he also directs an international elective for medical students to India.
Education & Training
- Fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry SIU School of Medicine Springfield, Il, 2013 Addiction Medicine, 2019
- Residency in Psychiatry at SIU School of Medicine Springfield, Il, 2011
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Science, Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences Sewagram, India, 2004
- Independent India elective Large Group Activity medical students Residents and Fellows bedside teaching
- Delia Koon Endowment Grant, MSU, 2020
- Africa Study Center Strategic Partnership Grant, MSU, 2021
- SHAPE faculty grant, Spectrum Health, 2021
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Behere A, Barber Garcia BN. COVID-19 and Children's Mental Health: Identifying Challenges and the New Normal. Curr Pediatr Rev. 2021 May 14. doi: 10.2174/1573396317666210514172829.
- Behere AP, Shahani L, Noggle Chad A, & Dean, Raymond. Motor Functioning in Autistic Spectrum Disorders: A Preliminary Analysis. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2012 Dec 1;24(1):87-94
- Behere AP, Behere PB, Sathyanarayana Rao TS. Cannabis: Does it have a medicinal value? Indian J Psychiatry. 2017 Jul-Sep;59(3):262-263
- Behere AP, Basnet P, Campbell P. Effects of Family Structure on Mental Health of Children: A Preliminary Study. Indian J Psychol Med. 2017 Jul-Aug;39(4):457-463
- Kampfschulte A, Oram M, Escobar Vasco AM, Essenmacher B, Herbig A, Behere A, Leimanis-Laurens ML, Rajasekaran S. Understanding Suicide in Our Community through the Lens of the Pediatric ICU: An Epidemiological Review (2011-2017) of One Midwestern City in the US. Children (Basel). 2021 Jan 20;8(2):59. doi: 10.3390/children8020059. PMID: 33498346; PMCID: PMC7909391.
Awards and Honors
- ICMR Research Studentship Award, 2002, 2003, 2004
- Helen Beiser Award in Child Psychiatry, 2011
- Award for Academic Excellence- Child psychiatry fellowship, 2013
- Delia Koon Endowment Award, 2020
- Africa Strategic Partnership Grant, 2021