Assistant ProfessorAssociate Program Director, Pediatric Residency Program
Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital
Justin Triemstra, MD is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Human Development at Michigan State University College of Human Medicine where he is the Associate Designated Institutional Official at Spectrum Health and an Associate Program Director of the Pediatrics Residency Program at Spectrum Health/Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital. His research interests bridge the advocacy, educational, and clinical continuum of scholarship. His educational scholarship focuses on the professional identity formation, physician mentorship of academic physicians, and graduate medical education. His clinical research focuses on integrating preventive behavioral health interventions in primary care settings while his advocacy work focuses on advancing the understanding of how social determinants of health affect cost and access to care. Clinically, he supervises residents at the Academic General Pediatric Clinic and provides clinical care at the Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine Clinic at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, Spectrum Health..
Education & Training
- MPHE, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI (2019 - 2021)
- Chief Residency, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL (2016-2017)
- Pediatrics Residency, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL (2013-2016)
- MD, Loyola University Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL (2009 – 2013)
- BS, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Michigan (2005 -2009)
- Pediatric Adolescent Medicine Clerkship/PHD 617
- Ambulatory Pediatric Clerkship/PHD 641
- Society of Directors of Research in Medical Education Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital – Pediatric Research Fund (Co-PI with Dr. Julia Felton, PhD, MSU)
- Helen DeVos Children's Hospital Foundation
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Triemstra JD. “Becoming a Medical Educator.” Medical Education. 2018;52:1210-1211. PMID: 30345682.
- Triemstra JD, Iyer M, Hurtubise L, Poeppelman RS, Turner TL, Dewey C, Karani R, Fromme, HB. “Influences and Timing of the Professional Identity Formation of Clinician Educators: A Qualitative Analysis.” Academic Medicine. 2021;96(4):585-591. PMID: 33177319.
- Triemstra JD, Haas MRC, Bhavsar-Burke I, Gottlieb-Smith R, Wolff M, Shelgikar AV, Samala RV, Ruff AL, Kuo K, Tam M, Gupta A, Stojan J, Gruppen L, Ellinas H. “The Impact of COVID-19 on the Clinical Learning Environment: Addressing Identified Gaps and Seizing Opportunities”. Academic Medicine. 2021;96(9):1276-1281. PMID: 34432665.
- Triemstra JD and Monterrey AC. “The Health of Children Who Are Immigrants and Refugees: A Review for the General Pediatrician”. ¬Pediatric Annals. 2019;48:e455-e460. PMID: 31710365.