MSU-Sparrow Hospital Regional Neonatal Intensive Care Unit

The 47-bed Sparrow Hospital Neonatal Intensive Care Unit admits approximately 600 infants each year. About 85% of these admissions are from the Sparrow Hospital obstetric facility, with its 4,000 annual deliveries. The remaining 15% are transported from our referral centers around the state of Michigan. A full range of ventilatory modalities is available in the RNICU, including nitric oxide therapy, oscillation, and NAVA. Pediatric residents, NNPs, and physician assistants are fully integrated into the daily routine of the NICU.

Developmental Assessment Clinic (DAC)

The DAC is a weekly clinic organized to provide coordinated follow up assessment and care for infants discharged from the RNICU and considered to be at risk for residual handicap or developmental delay. Infants are followed for up to three years post-RNICU discharge. In-depth assessment is provided by neonatologists, neonatal fellows, nurse coordinators, psychologists, occupational and physical therapists, and audiologists. Approximately 12 infants are seen each week.

Neonatal Transport Program

The Neonatal Transport Nurse team serves the entire Mid-Michigan region. The team includes nurses, respiratory therapists, and EMTs. For critically ill infants, or those with complex or multiple system disorders the neonatal fellow (or neonatal nurse practitioner) accompanies the primary team.

Computerized Neonatal Database

A computerized medical record system (Medical Data Systems) is in use in the NICU and the DAC. In addition, the MSU program is part of the Vermont-Oxford Network. Access to archived data is available for fellows for research and/or quality improvement projects.